Financial Controller (London)
That’ll take drive and initiative to think big and look ahead, and the sharpest of eyes when it comes to the detail of reporting. No process left unquestioned. No Excel cell left unturned. You’ll have the commercial insight and analytical skills to help us achieve our goals. And you’ll work with our teams in London and New York to make that happen.
What you’ll bring to this role
As a leader within the finance team, you’ll be:
- accustomed to working in SMEs and know what it takes to work in a growing business
- used to working in a time-billing business
- happy to roll your sleeves up and get stuck into the detail, but able to stand back and see the bigger picture
- driven by data, helping to monitor revenue and profitability across all our projects
- confident speaking your mind and expressing ideas
- someone who values their work-life balance, but is willing to go the extra mile when needed
- comfortable with change, and able to adapt when necessary
- self-aware enough to admit to mistakes and learn from them
What you’ll do
Take control of financial reporting
- Manage the month-end process: providing meaningful analysis and commentary on variances and trends, making sure our UK and US companies meet reporting deadlines.
- Find improvements and create a slick and efficient financial reporting process.
- Assist the CFO in the production of monthly board pack.
- Take charge of the year-end close process, liaise with auditors and see that we meet all the relevant statutory requirements.
Help offer commercial insights across the business, by providing detailed analysis on project revenues, margins, utilisation rates, etc.
- Develop and monitor meaningful KPIs with our CFO.
- Support our budgeting, forecasting and financial planning.
- Be a champion of cash flow: maintaining cash forecast and managing our credit control.
- Work closely with the project management team to maintain margins (and increase them) and help with project margin analysis.
Create the best possible financial control environment
- Keep developing our internal controls, systems, reporting, and general financial processes and procedures.
- Make sure we’re using our management, accounting and timesheet tools (currently Paprika and Salesforce) accurately and effectively.
- Manage payments and the purchase-to-pay process, and maintain a robust control environment.
- Oversee payroll for our UK and US offices using our outsourced providers.
Make sure we stay compliant with global requirements
- Make sure we comply with statutory and tax requirements: VAT submissions, PAYE, P11Ds, PSA, 1099s, pensions, 401ks, corporation tax, confirmation statements, etc.
- Maintain relationships with local tax advisors.
Be an inspiring manager
- Mentor, coach and inspire one direct report.
- Manage your team’s performance, reviews, and any hiring needs.
- Suggest ways the finance team could improve.
- Show drive and ambition to deliver on our goals.
- Be a visible, positive and engaging role model.
And like everyone at The Writer, you’ll:
care about quality
mind the numbers
If so, apply here. You’ll need to send us three things: your CV, covering letter and a one-liner telling us where you saw this ad. (NOTE: For each document you're attaching, you'll need to hit the 'upload' button before finishing your application).