Pancakes the old-fashioned way
The British Library have just tweeted this pancake recipe from 1585. If you fancy a taste of the 16th century, here’s the same recipe made a touch more legible.
- A pint of thick cream
- Five egg yolks
- A handful of flour
- Two tablespoons of ale
How to do it
- Mix the cream, egg yolks, flour and ale in a bowl.
- Season with a handful of sugar, a tablespoon of cinnamon and a pinch of ginger.
- Melt a chunk of butter (about the size of your thumb) in a frying pan.
- Ladle some of your mixture into the pan and make sure it spreads to the edges.
- Fry over a low heat until one side is baked, then flip it over and bake the other side.
Like what you see?
You can subscribe to our writing tips, news and industry thoughts. No spam, just quality content, or your money back.
(Wait, it’s free. Never mind. But you can unsubscribe anytime.)