Newspapers and magazines

Newspapers and magazines

In London, we italicize the names of newspapers and magazines. Like we do with the titles of books, films and tv programmes. 

But only The Times and The Economist have ‘the’ in italics and with a cap. So it’s:

  • Ally read the article in The Times but Ed read it in the Daily Telegraph.

And we tend to treat newspapers and magazines as plural nouns. Like this:

  • The Washington Post ran a big article on flamingos, because they love them. 

But in New York we don’t italicize and we treat newspapers and magazines as singular nouns. So it’s: 

  • The Washington Post ran a big article on flamingos, because it loves them. 


  • Names and titles

Share this guide on


Grammar doesn’t have to be gruelling

Check out our training

Related Guides

Enough about us

Let's talk about you

We use cookies to make our site better.

Find out more about how we use them (and why they’re called ‘cookies’) here.